During the Toronto International Film Festival, the cast and writing team of “The Blackening” made a memorable appearance at the Collider Supper Suite and Media Studio at Marbl. The group brought their infectious energy and enthusiasm, offering a glimpse into the making of this exciting horror-comedy film. Collider’s Editor-in-Chief, Steve Weintraub, had the pleasure of interviewing the cast and crew, celebrating the film’s unique and subversive comedy.
The Concept: A Unique Blend of Horror and Comedy
“The Blackening” is based on a Comedy Central sketch that first aired in 2018. The premise is straightforward yet captivating: a group of seven friends embarks on a weekend getaway, only to be unexpectedly visited by a killer. In the original sketch, the characters engage in a debate to determine who is the “Blackest” among them, aiming to be the first to meet their demise. In the movie adaptation, the all-Black cast utilizes their horror movie knowledge and street smarts to navigate through the terrifying ordeal.
The Cast and Crew: Bringing Diversity to the Forefront
The interview featured the talented duo of screenwriters Tracy Oliver, known for her work on “Girls Trip,” and Dewayne Perkins, who also stars in the film and is recognized for his role in “Brooklyn Nine-Nine.” Alongside them were cast members Antoinette Robertson from “Dear White People” and X Mayo from “American Auto.” The ensemble cast of “The Blackening” also includes Grace Byers, Melvin Gregg, Yvonne Orji, Jay Pharoah, and Sinqua Walls, all of whom bring their unique talents to the screen.
The Interview Highlights: Behind the Scenes of “The Blackening”
During the interview, the cast and crew of “The Blackening” shared intriguing insights into the making of the film. Here are some highlights from their conversation:
- Tracy Oliver couldn’t contain her laughter while watching the cast in action, reflecting the film’s humorous tone.
- The cast revealed who among them had already watched the finished movie, creating an atmosphere of excitement and anticipation.
- Dewayne Perkins, both a screenwriter and a star of the film, outlined the store. And highlighted the fun in trying to survive the perilous situations.
- Antoinette Robertson delved into the process of making her character unique within a limited runtime. Showcasing the creativity and depth brought to the film.
- X Mayo discussed how improvisation played a significant role in shaping the dialog and enhancing the story’s authenticity.
- Perkins and Oliver explored their intention of subverting traditional tropes like the “gay best friend” an. The “black person in a horror movie,” adding layers of depth and commentary to the narrative.
- Perkins paid homage to the influential legacy of the “Scream” horror franchise and its impact on the genre.
- Perkins and Oliver delved into the symbolism embedded in “The Blackening,” providing viewers with intriguing layers to interpret and unravel.
- Without revealing any spoilers, Perkins and Oliver shared their experiences in discovering the true nature of the villain. Hinting at surprising twists and turns.
- Antoinette Robertson shared her most terrifying moments during filming, showcasing the dedication and. Commitment of the cast in delivering authentic performances.
- X Mayo talked about the challenges of filming the lake scene, highlighting the rigorous efforts undertaken to create captivating visuals.
- Perkins recounted his thoughts on the first day of shooting, giving audiences a glimpse into the excitement. And nerves that accompany the start of a film project.
- The group celebrated the vibrant energy present both in front of and behind the cameras. Emphasizing the collaborative spirit that brought “The Blackening” to life.
Subverting Tropes and Embracing Change
“The Blackening” stands out from traditional horror films by boldly subverting common tropes and embracing change. With a cast of talented Black actors taking the spotlight and a narrative that challenges the genre’s norms. The movie offers a refreshing and exciting viewing experience. By blending horror and comedy, it strikes a unique balance that keeps audiences entertained while providing thoughtful social commentary.
Celebrating Diversity and Representation
“The Blackening” and its cast and crew exemplify the progress being made within the movie industry. The film not only showcases the talen. And charisma of Black actors but also serves as a platform for diverse storytelling. By defying stereotypes and providing opportunities for marginalized communities, “The Blackening” contributes to a more inclusive and representative cinematic landscape.
Suggested Read: Indiana Jones: Dial of Destiny – [Spoiler] Time Travel Awaits!
Sum It Up!
‘The Blackening’: Cast is a must-watch horror-comedy film that defies tropes and brings diversity to the forefront. With its talented cast, clever writing, and subversive humor, it promises an entertaining and thought-provoking cinematic experience. By challenging conventions and celebrating plural Black characters. The movie sets a new standard for inclusive storytelling within the horror genre.